Australian states will hold vastly different versions of Anzac Day with many states missing out on the annual long weekend for the second-consecutive year.
Just three of the country’s eight states and territories will get Monday off, with the national day of remembrance falling on a Sunday.
That means most of Australia will have to wait until the Queens’ birthday in June for the next long weekend.
Queensland, Western Australia and the ACT are the three regions who will give residents the Anzac Day long weekend despite the country’s most meaningful day falling on the Sunday.
The remaining states and territories will be back at work on Monday, with varying levels of restrictions in place for respective parades.
Sydney’s CBD march has been granted an exemption and will allow 10,000 servicemen and women and their families to march.
Other areas of New South Wales will be allowed a maximum of 5,000 people involved in services.
Queensland, despite a recent coronavirus outbreak, have been encouraged by their premier to attend public Anzac Day events, with final decisions to be made on numbers closer to the date.
‘In times of strife, Queenslanders do what it takes to protect each other,’ Premier Annastacia Palaszczuk said.
We’ve done it in wartime, and we’re doing it now through the global pandemic.’
Victoria will hold its annual Anzac Day march with numbers restricted to an attendance of just 5,500 – with a further 1,400 allowed at the Shine of Remembrance.
Residents of the state are being encouraged to ‘stay local’ for the national day of remembrance, suggesting smaller events nearer to home are safer than the large scale event in the CBD.
The National War Memorial in Canberra will allow 4,200 people to attend the Dawn Service, with an additional 3,00 for the national ceremony.
‘Last year was the first time the Memorial had not entertained welcoming tens of thousands of attendees,’ the War Memorial said in a statement.
This year we will be celebrating the 106th anniversary of the landings of Gallipoli and all our staff have put in a lot of work to allow thousands to attend in a safe manner.’
Western Australia with services across the city but still with capped numbers.
The Dawn Service has a capacity of 10,000 attendees, with just 2,000 at the Gunfire Breakfast at Government House.
South Australia are yet to confirm restrictions at their respect services and will do so closer to the date.
Tasmania are also still to determine numbers, with residents of both states asked to register for places before a decision will be made.
Source: Thanks msn.com