The ABC has reversed its plan to implement a national Sunday night 7pm bulletin and will instead continue to air local news bulletins after listening to audience feedback.
The broadcaster last month said a singular bulletin would replace state-by-state coverage on Sunday nights – one of a number of cost-cutting proposals put forward in its five-year plan, which will also result in up to 120 jobs made redundant.
The plan for the national bulletin met strong resistance from staff, who flagged concerns with management over the broadcaster’s ability to meet the needs of its audience as a result.
ABC managing director David Anderson told the national broadcaster’s employees on Wednesday morning that the Sunday night national bulletin is the only proposal the ABC is reversing.
“After listening to audience feedback, it is clear that there are some members of the Australian public who continue to rely on the local Sunday night state bulletin,” said Anderson in an internal email.
“As a result, we will not be proceeding with this current proposal. The ABC intends to proceed with all other proposals and initiatives announced in June.”
More to come
Source: Thanks smh.com